Ample job opportunities exist across the U.S. for heating, air conditioning, and refrigeration (HVACR) technicians, but they may require you to move. In a May 2014 report from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) shows that the 261,390 people employed as HVACR techs during 2014 earned a mean annual wage of $46,880, which is equivalent to $21.46 per hour. In this article we discuss the top 5 cities for HVACR technicians.
How This Information Was Compiled
Increasing demands for skilled HVACR means good pay for those workers. The BLS estimates that job growth for HVACR techs is 21% for the period of 2012–2022, which is faster than the average job growth in this country. So, while the job market for HVAC technicians looks promising across the U.S., some cities may be more attractive than others. Below, you find a list compiled of information from the Riley Guide, Sperling’s Best Places, and Livability.
The Riley Guide provides a list of the cities with the highest pay for HVACR technicians. Sperling’s Best Places, on the other hand, rates the cost of living in those cities (a rating lower than 100 means the city is less expensive than average, whereas a rating higher than 100 means living it is more expensive than average). Livability ranks cities based on factors like amenities, demographics, economic conditions (especially job prospects), quality of schools, rental and housing costs, transportation choices, quality of local government, and social programs.
Potential earnings can be attractive for those pursuing HVACR training to enter the field. However, the cost of living and quality of life also need to be taken into consideration when selecting the best cites in the U.S. for HVACR technicians.
- Rochester, Minnesota– The mean annual wage for HVACR technicians in Rochester is $64,020. The cost of living index is 101.40, which means it costs about 1% more to live in Rochester than in the average American city. In Livability’s rankings, Rochester is the second best city in America, which is in fact outstanding.
- Springfield, Illinois – Springfield is the capital of Illinois. The mean annual wage for HVACR technicians in Springfield is $64,020. The cost of living index is 86.50, meaning it costs about 14% less to live in Springfield than average. Springfield is one of the top-ten greenest cities in the U.S. Quality of life is exceptional as wages for HVACR techs are high and the cost of living in Springfield is low.
- Rockford, Illinois – Rockford is the third largest city in Illinois with a total population of 348,360 in the city’s greater metro area. The mean annual wage in Rockford for HVACR technicians is $65,820. The cost of living index is 81.50, which means that living in Rockford is about 19% less expensive than in the average American city. The good quality of lifeand lower cost of living make it an easy city to start a career as an HVACR technician.
- Boulder, Colorado – Boulder has beautiful surrounding mountains, crisp clean air, and great winter sports opportunities. The mean annual wage for HVACR technicians in Boulder is $59,930. The cost of living index is 155.10, so it is about 55% costlier to live in Boulder than average. However, in Livability’s rankings, Boulder is the fourth best place in the U.S.
- Palo Alto, California – The mean annual wage for HVACR technicians in Palo Alto is $58,440. Palo Alto is in the world famous Silicon Valley and home of Stanford University. The cost of living index is 415.50, which means it is more than three times as expensive to live in Palo Alto than average. While the cost of living is higher, According to Livability, Palo Alto is the fifth best place to live in America.
All these five cities offer higher-than-average salaries for HVACR technicians. Overall, there are plenty of places across the US with great job opportunities for those in HVACR. If you are interested in starting a career in this promising field, contact RSI to inquire about our vocational programs.
Ready to Move Forward?
Whether you need more information, want to speak to someone, or start the application process, we're with you every step of the way. Contact us to get started on working toward your future.